Friday, November 11, 2005

Cyberpunk v3!

As I've told a few people now, R. Talsorian has announced that Cyberpunk v.3 is going to presses, and should be in stores within 6 weeks. Assuming that they mean it (which I think they do), this is very exciting.
Many Talsorian fans have simply given up on this product, either going back to 2020, using another product, or just deriding every snippet from v.3 they see. I am not one of these people. Well, actually, I am...I, after about 6 months of ambiguous announcements, simply shrugged, and went back to using 2020. But now, I see no reason not to buy the product. Having played Champions, I know Fuzion and its architecture are quite solid, and should be a blast to build a campaign with. People saw RTal's new sample on their site, and immediately started bitching. I think that the altcults listed, while definitely not the standard schema introduced in 2020, are just that: a schema. RTal has responded to popular response about 2020, which is that the universe is very narrow-minded, which hurted some of the very interesting possibilities with the system. To me, it sounds like Cyberpunk v.3 has the variety to become the benchmark dystopian system, beating out not only other cyberpunk-esque systems like Shadowrun, but also systems like Rifts, d20 Modern, and others which go for the modern angle. One might not understand this, but to put it simply: modern roleplaying either falls on story or blazing gunfights. Or both, but either way, setting can enrich this greatly, but is not intrinsic to the order of play.
I have not seen a "bad" Talsorian product. Some were redundant, some were too short (my biggest gripe), but the information contained within was always great, and every supplement I bought for 2020 gave me a new angle to look at my games, my characters, and my writing. I think that's a good thing.
I am buying the core system, regardless of what anyone says. I will post a review after I get it, and hope to encourage people to do the same and buy this product. If the fanbase expands to a certain point, we can be ensured to get great publisher support, and get more great supplements.
And Mr. Pondsmith, if you chance upon my blog, which happens to have been started centering around your roleplaying system, I have two suggestions for you:
1. Release a 2020 update. You did great things with 2020. Even if interlock and Fuzion are cross-compatible, people will much appreciate either a conversion booklet or something similar. As much as we love trying new systems, the idea of dropping a campaign for it is not a very nice one.
2. Let third-party publishers release Cyberpunk products. Icarus did this with 2020, and now that Fuzion can be licensed, you have no reason not to encourage this. We know Talsorian isn't a big company, but people love the system, and would be more than glad to write stuff for it.

Fuzion seems to be an easy system to write new shit for, so I'm going to try and be a little creative about updating a setting. I love my Triurban setting, and it's evolving, but if I can do something completely new, both players and myself will probably get into it a lot. Don't know where to start, but hey, another reason to buy the book!

Talsorian's Website

No comments: