Tuesday, January 24, 2006

GURPS, Fourth Edition: First Impressions

My order came to me today, and I am now in possession of both books of the GURPS basic set. I've read through the two books, and like what I see.
Character Creation:
Point-based character creation, with points going to stats, advantages/disadvantages, and skills. There's four stats, four derived stats, and then numerous advantages, disadvantages, and skills. Character power levels are based on the amount of starting points, determined by the GM. All in all, the chargen system s compact enough to make character generation easy, but allows for a lot of customization, using templates, and giving the advantages/disadvantages numerous options, either increasing or decreasing their cost. I have yet to think of a character concept I couldn't make
Mechanics:
I'm not going to know until I play, but from the looks of it, many things can be pursued. It has the realism and grittiness of CP2020 quite easily possible if you want it (the max damage from a 9mm pistol is 14, and the average character has 10HP), though with high point totals and cinematic rules, you can make unbreakable characters as well (if you have 300 points or so, it is possible to make a character entirely immortal). I'm going to aim for a point total between 75-100 to start, making the campaign fairly low-powered. I have a lot of ideas for progression, and since I'm aiming for 3-5 character points a session, 10 sessions may be enough for them to have 1.5 times their starting abilities. Should be very cool.
GURPS looks like a great system, and I'm looking forward to running a game with it.

No comments: