Wednesday, April 04, 2007

My evil plan

All right, here it is, the one you've all been waiting for:

I am now declaring, officially, that I will run a VTT RPG this summer, using the GURPS ruleset and the OpenRPG software package.

The game will use a setting of my own devising, that is being fleshed out into a big ole' galaxy o' chaos as we speak.

The setting is sci-fi, and involves a nice mix of realism (star systems modeled after actual accretion disk models! My attempt to give scientific justification to everything!), and not so much (every solar system has inhabitable planets in it! Vague promises of psychic aliens! Faster-than-light travel!). I don't want just space fantasy, but I want it to be fun, too. I have a campaign set up, it's a combination of low-impact and moderate power that should make for a very interesting introduction to the setting. If things go well, the setting may be used to run another game in the next school year. For now, the plan is to test it out, tweak stuff, and play a game that I have not ever played: one that combines the exploration and adventuring of D&D with the realism and character focus of other systems.
As far as players go, nothing is set in stone, but I will extend invitations in terms of gaming familiarity. First, the members of Pony!, my current group, and one that has had me as a GM recently. Then, I'll see if anyone else I know is interested. From past experience, I don't think that many people I've gamed with before college will be interested.

Well, if anyone wants to get a leg up, I'll put out the links now:
openrpg.digitalxero.net: A wiki with OpenRPG info. Has links for the development version of OpenRPG, OpenRPG+. I prefer OpenRPG+ because it has a GURPS dice roller written for it.
openrpg.wrathof.com: A site with OpenRPG character sheets for many different systems (hint: click on GURPS).
openrpg.com: The main site, with links, and an installation guide.
mayhemgaming.net: This site has great tutorials for using OpenRPG and creating content for it.

No comments: