Thursday, August 14, 2008

'Congratulations, Daniel. You've just completed your first D&D campaign.'

I got the weirdest creativity injection today. Now, for some reason, I really want to run a game again.
Based on what I saw, I was reminded of things that made me enjoy roleplaying. Additionally, it just reminded me why the medium is so neat.
Roleplaying games empower players to do things that they could not otherwise do in real life. They give a sense of accomplishment. Both of these need to be at least understood by the GM, otherwise someone won't be having fun.
The GM, on the other side, gets to tell a story, and even revel a bit in the player's accomplishments. And write a bit, and act a bit.
It's not much more complex than that...and I'm afraid I've been making it more complicated.
I have a great idea for writing a post-apoc/high adventure game. It still isn't formed in my head completely, but it'll be a lot of fun if it goes off properly. And I don't think I'm aiming for any deep intrigue stuff this time. It's clear my group isn't terribly interested, and I don't do it so well. But running and gunning is fun, and given a nice bad guy to deal with and some complications along the way, it could be a short, sweet, and badass campaign. Now if only I could write it before September.

No comments: