Tuesday, May 12, 2009

College in Review

Today (it's after midnight) is the last day of finals for Carnegie Mellon. I've been done since Friday, but since I've spent most of the intervening time being roughly as active as a bump on a log, now seemed like a decent time to write this entry. As far as any metric I know, college is over. I graduate on Sunday, and then continue my attempts to secure entry into the real world. In the past four years, I've learned a lot. Talking about boundary layers or moments of inertia here would fill up space, but even from an academic perspective that isn't what's important. I've changed the way I think, and that's exactly what CMU wants out of its engineers. I've also learned some important things about life:

Stop compromising.
There are only so many hours in a day, only so many days in a week. You're given things you have to get done, and there are things you want to get done. Once you know how to manage your time, you should know how long everything you want to do takes, and schedule accordingly. Some things, believe it or not, you can always make time for. Anyone who has given up on an exercise schedule, had a relationship suffer, or otherwise did poorly during a very busy time did so because they either weren't realistic with their time or they made compromises that compromised the things that were important to them. Example: I started running last semester, and nothing got in my way. I missed two runs this past semester, both during the busiest events of the semester, Carnival and Greek Sing. Other than that, it was 6 days a week, every week, wind, snow, sleet, or rain.

Girls are Crazy.
People say this, and it's true. To be fair, boys are crazy too, but having been one for the last 22 years, I know how to deal with it better. If I've learned anything during college, it's that as soon you think someone isn't crazy, you're in for trouble. For me, the "One that Got Away" was a girl who I knew was nuts the moment I met her. Damn I should have been a bit more impulsive.

Get Out While You Still Can.
I didn't learn this in time for my grades to reflect it, but at a certain point, you need to know when you can't catch up. I mean, if you don't succeed at first, try again later. I also screwed this up in relationships...though there it's harder to realize when you're dealing with codependence, social suicide, or other relationship issues, especially if you think the relationship is the only thing getting you laid.

Forgive.
Living in a fraternity, this one's key. People will do stupid shit. If you want people to get over the stupid shit you do, you need to get over the stupid shit they do. I found just this semester that my being able to forgive one of my brothers allowed to me to continue hanging out with a really cool guy instead of thinking he was a jackass and getting the same back.

You're Wrong, or, What's the Big Deal.
There's always one guy who will insist on being right. You can say something flippantly and he'll correct you. Well, he's an asshole. See above. But please, don't be that guy. We don't care, you're wrong anyway, and believe it or not, people may hold it against you more for being right than for being wrong every once in a while.

Do it.
If someone asks you to do something and you can't think of a good reason not to right then and there, do it. It'll either be helpful to them, or a good experience for you. It may, as it did in my case, get you on youtube.

Screw up.
Similar to 'You're Wrong', everyone makes mistakes. This isn't bad, it's how you learn. Don't be afraid of doing things because you might do them wrong. And remember, you only suck as much as you say you do, so don't shoot yourself in the foot with pessimism before you even try.

Graduation in 5 days. Watch this space for what happens next.

No comments: