Thursday, October 20, 2005

Project Symbiote, Part 3

Comments are welcome!

It had been about 3 days since our evening fiasco with June. After the initial tests and upgrades which were by now very familiar to me, June was released back to her parents, who were never even aware she was gone. I did understand what the man meant by diagnostics, so I was now assigned to go to Oakdale High every day and meet up with June. The first two times were relatively quick and quiet, with June slipping by the bench I sat by outside the school, and then just as easily slipping away. Today was Wednesday, and the third time I needed to do this. June slipped out and came toward the park bench, and I used the hand scanner over the concealed node in her neck. Everything was progressing normally, which I suppose was a good thing. Today, instead of just slipping back, she sat down next to me.

“Max, right?”

“Yeah.”

“How long have you been involved with these people?”

“About a week now.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. I made it half way through my freshman year of college without even knowing I had anything to do with this. Now that I know, so many things make sense, personally.”

“I dunno…I mean, some of the stuff fits, but most doesn’t really make sense.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, you and Liz were both at the top of your class, and had some odd, though not unnatural talents. All that happened to me was that my entire school class just turned their back on me.”

“Well, you were smart, right?”

“Well, yeah…but that didn’t help anything. I never seemed to make friends.”

“No one liked you?”

“Not even that…I just could never trust anyone. It seemed that everyone was either jealous or just seemed off…I never got it. I was always on the outside. For some reason…for some reason, you and Liz just seem trustworthy. I don’t know” My face blanched. I had a sudden realization, and suddenly, the little balding man seemed like a right bastard. I could only hope I was wrong…but in hoping, somehow I knew I wasn’t. June looked at me, and smiled.

“I’m glad you guys pulled me out. I have no idea what would’ve happened otherwise.” She put her arm around my shoulder, and drew closer. For one reason or another, I was very uncomfortable. The thought of what this project had done to her personality was worse than disturbing. And to make matters worse, I knew that I was the last person in the world who should be the only one to trust, for absolutely anyone. I couldn’t help but put my arm around her as well. But I really didn’t know what I was going to do.

I got back to the complex, fuming. I stormed into Dr. Davidson’s office, pushing aside a well-meaning nurse into a small bookshelf.

“What the hell did you do to June?”

“A lot. Same with you, same with Liz. What do you mean?”

“Well, who’s brilliant idea was it to have loyalty programming? That could’ve been seriously psychologically damaging.”

“It wasn’t supposed to be. She was actually only supposed to distrust those who were modified by someone other than our project. The programming wasn’t complete for #55, so the last 5 subjects got the prototype, where they only trusted our agents.”

“You put untested tech…in children?! You’re sick.”

“Well, how else were we supposed to do it?”

“Why did you need this goddamn experiment anyway?”

“You will find out in due time. Just keep one thing in mind. June needs to be able to trust you. If that’s established, we can modify the code and rectify things.”

“I’m not terribly worried about what happens next…”

“Really?”

“I’m more worried about what’s already happened to the poor girl for the last 18 years.” I walked out of the office without waiting for a response, and plugged my player back into the headjack. Any pleas that Dr. Davidson made were immediately drowned out by synth guitars and guttural german. The last thing I needed to do was worry about what thing these people were going to have me do next. The only real comfort in this was that if Liz and I turned out ok, everyone before us was in a better position. So I guess only one full life had been ruined by this insanity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How much would it suck to realize that the reason you can't make friends is coz someone was just testing something. Freaky...