Friday, December 30, 2005

GURPS Transhuman: 2060

My writing hand hurts, but that's because I've started writing my setting! The setting takes place after a nuclear war, where urbanization has caused a lot of issues, especially as governments start to melt into little more than securities commissions for the agricorps, techcorps, and realcorps that actually control things. The US is pretty much written, with three major urban areas (Astropolis, Version City, and the Coast), as well as some surprises, and plenty of open highway and corporate intrusion. I have some basic ideas for corporate stuff (see above), but the important parts about infrastructure and Grid are laid out rudimentarily. Grid is like the Net, but with a lot borrowed from Shockwave Rider, and most communications devices relying on the shared bandwidth of the Grid, either from the blanket wireless of the major cities or the cable line draws in the smaller areas. An-Grid areas are those which are run by autonomous groups choosing to stay unknown by not connecting to the Grid. Although I'm not going to do I-G or any bullshit like that, there is a software program called Gspace which allows a person to put the grid pathways and URL line paths onto a GUI. Not useful for the hacking itself, but has many other uses.
Anyhoo. The US is laid out, I have a rudimentary picture of Europe, with Nuevo Praha as a new capital on the Mediterranean, but little else. Asia is similarly rudimentary, having the massive city of Tokyo, and agro to grow crops for food and fuel (agro being the 2060 term for farmland). Africa and South America I have nothing, but I know they should play a role.
As for tech, I don't know. due to the whole "war" thing it won't be what you'd expect for 55 years of development, and certain things like space travel are out of the question due to priority. However, cybernetics has evolved, as has genetic engineering....it's why I'm saying it'll be GURPS transhuman...a lot of the changes will be subtle changes to the human body itself.
Here, I'm asking. Send me ideas for the lower continents, ideas for tech of any sort, and ideas for corporate fleshing out of. Remember the tech level I'm looking at: a lot has been improved,and a lot is out there, but it's still fairly grounded to near-future. And even if I go on the nutty with this, the players may never see it, due to that wonderful concept of stratification. Oh well.

No comments: