Sunday, July 08, 2007

Tub Ring, or, I drove four hours to Toledo and all I got was my face rocked off

So, using a scheme of logic I am still uncertain of, Lindsey and I borrowed a car yesterday to drive a car out to Toledo, Ohio to see Tub Ring. This was an odd endeavour, and having only heard anything by the band some two weeks ago, I was unsure of what to expect.

It was psychotic.
The first band was a couple of Toledo guys who, frankly, sucked. They just played loud and had a drunk entourage making fools of themselves in the front of the club.
Notable quote: "Play some Barry Manilow, you pussy!"
- Drunk Asshole

After that, it got better, though.


Foxy Shazam was weird. They were a good type of weird though, and rocked pretty hard. That is, when the lead singer wasn't strutting around being a pompous frontman. The bassist looked a lot like Buzz Osborne. The keyboardist had the most terrifying sideburns I have ever witnessed on a human being. They finished a pretty sick set, and then Tub Ring took the stage.



Oh man. They were sick.



Playing some songs I knew, some I didn't, the whole time everyone was jumping around, being crazy. Also, it was a small club, so there were probably no more than 100 people there. All in all, very cool.
After the show, I got a chance to talk to Kevin Gibson, the lead singer, who is a cool guy, and was a little surprised that we came out from Pittsburgh for the show. Well, after hearing that, Let's hope that maybe they consider swinging by the Burgh on their next tour...
After I get The Great Filter, which may take a few weeks (I accidentally had it shipped back home to MA), I am definitely going to look into getting their other two albums.

No comments: