Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Spring Break. Woo...

I'm home for spring break, which is equal parts relaxing and maddening. On one hand, I've gotten around 10-12 hours of sleep each night, something I've needed, and something that will help keep my rising insanity at bay for at least a few more weeks until Carnival. On the other hand, I haven't been doing much.
Boredom seems like a ludicrous complaint for a break that's only a week long. Also, today and yesterday were the only days I really had nothing to do, as tomorrow we're celebrating my brother's birthday, Friday I go to a concert, and Thursday I theoretically have plans. But boredom can cause issues, when you're sitting alone with your thoughts for essentially two days straight.
First, I'm in a somewhat precarious position at this point in my social life, and being home exacerbates this simply because I can't really do anything. I can think about it, think about it a lot, and ultimately start worrying over nothing, but I can't act on it and nothing I do or say will prevent me from being neurotic.
Second, this is a point in my life fraught with anxiety. Mostly over the future, OK, entirely over the future. There's the very real concern of getting a job and moving into the next stage in life, the fairly real but somewhat distant concern of what life I'll have when I get there, and how I'll met people, and then the altogether ludicrous existential angst over what I'm doing with my life, the fact that I keep getting older, and why the hell am I here in the first place.
I'm 21, nearly 22. That is altogether too young to start worrying about how much time I have left on this earth. I can't very effectively worry about what I've done with my life when I have yet to know what I'm going to be doing with my life. And God forbid I worry about being married or starting a family when I'm still working on asking a girl out after getting her phone number.

It's way too early for all this shit. And maybe that should be the take away message. I'm still young enough to sit around at home for days at a time without any commitments to worry about. And even if that stage of my life will be coming to an end soon, maybe that's the sign I should enjoy it. All in all, things would probably be a lot more enjoyable if I didn't worry so much about everything.

I think I can calm down about my anxieties for at least a little while. It may help me to relax, but it doesn't help the fact that I'm here for break, no one else is, and I'm still bored as hell.

No comments: