Wednesday, September 26, 2007

IT'S ALIVE!

Yes, my computer is up and running again, now with a 120GB hard drive and a lot less crap on it. I'm in the process of running a data recovery on my old HD (using a nifty USB-t0-pATA converter), and should get back all of my important files. This ordeal has taught me much on the value of backups. Though, for better or worse, all of my files that were actually important (resume, school files, etc.) were already backed up on school or email servers. Now, I can back up all of my unimportant files too. Woo!

2 comments:

bennettmarks said...

Having your machine back must feel great. Glad it all worked out.

Elthran said...

I feel you pain, I experienced a similar issue, although I wasn't lucky enough to recover my files (the hard drive had been corrupted so much the OS failed to boot up, and all files were lost.)

Some things I learned:
-External Hard Drives are amazing.
-Vista has issues. Don't use unless you have around 2.5-3 gigs of RAM.
-Hard Drive shells are great ways to recover files from old hard drives, and also help serve to turn an old hard drive into an external hard drive.
-Tigerdirect has everything.

Hope some of that helps. Good luck with the new HD!