Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Israel: Day 2

12/29/07

I'm starting to feel a difference, though slight. When I look for it, it's pretty clear this is a foreign country. I don't know what else to look for, though.
My stomach was bothering me still this morning, though it seems to have passed. Only dinner will let me know for sure.
Got much needed sleep today, and am continuing to meet new people, which is great.
I still don't know what to expect from this. It's obviously religious, no surprise there, but I don't know if I'm feeling "Holy Land". I'm getting the hint of something special, but I don't know what, yet.
As part of the whole Shabbat 'thing', we took a walk on the beach today. In retrospect, it was really peaceful. That felt more like a day of rest than anything else. Well, excepting maybe the sleeping.

Addendum:
The Druze restaurant was quite an experience. Authentic food (and Israeli kool-aid) and a culture/religion I barely knew existed.

Here, I'm continuing to copy down word for word what I wrote in my journal. The first Shabbat was still one of anticipation, of not knowing what to expect. Little did I know how things would come together even only one day later.

No comments: