Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Twinking

You know what twinking is, either having to GM a twinking player or having to play alongside one. It is a person who goes beyond min-maxing. A person who plays as a wargamer, simply to kill, and optimizes everything to do so. Bot only is the character useless outside combat, it has nothing to offer in any roleplay. I personally hate this. I had a player who made a series of solos, with ludicrously maxed out statistics, speedware, the works. Worse, the player thought that having all 10s in their stats block made them the best. My first strategy was to put the group against a standard cyberpsycho. This particular metalhead, through some interesting combinations of cyberware, had REF of 14, BOD of 18...you get the idea. He outmatched my player, but, as was fair, everyone else had a go too. Another player devised a brilliant plan taking advantage of the opposing gang's frat boy attitudes. I couldn't give up the chance for a brilliant RP, so we went with it, and it was brilliant. As positive as it was, our twink still felt invincible. It was getting damn annoying, to say the least, when he makes these requests that are outlandish, and then complains when you won't give in. I wasn't about to let this guy get some heavy weapon at face value, for instance. Fortunately, he and his character's hubris got the best of him. It was a standard situation, where the team was driving a van filled with surveillance equipment down the Mass Pike, chased by an AV with two PA units ready for insertion. The wheelman crashed the van trying to take an offramp at 80mph (a great use of Maximum Metal vehicle combat rules), and several team members ran for cover as the PAs descended from the AV. Not our twink. He takes out his racegun and says to me, "I'm going to hit his visor with my pistol. I mean, I do have +3 million or so in pistol." Whatever the stat was, it wasn't really going to help. -6 for tiny target, -4 for aimed shot...if I recall, he actually hit, but he never bothered to ask if the visor was armored. And besides...there were two of them. He got hit with 6 .30 caliber slugs, argued for a while about BTM and armor, and after finally shutting up, got essentially killed. Felt a little less invincible after that. A few other things happened, resulting from similarly stupid ideas (I use Aikido to disarm the cyberpsycho!), and I'm still not quite sure if he's entirely reformed. Oh well.

I'd say do everything in your power to encourage roleplay and character development from the get-go. And remind the players (gently) that their characters are not superhuman. This isn't D&D, where by level 10, a sword can't really touch you. In Cyberpunk, fatality is around the same no matter what the character level is. And big guns are cheap. Especially for your enemies.

This guy may have been a hopeless case. His only experience before CP was Warhammer 40k.

No comments: