Wednesday, July 23, 2008

In our hands

In our hands, in the hands of each being on this planet, we possess an ungodly amount of power. This is not an electrical power that will jump forth in a bright spark all at once, it is more of an ebb and flow that continues throughout all of life.

Think, if you will, about your significance. In the universe at large, in a world with over 6 billion people, you cannot possibly be significant. Or can you? Within the inner realm of another person, you may be significant. More significant than you could know.

You may be so significant, that someone will not go a single day without thinking about you. Someone may change earth-shattering plans for the future to be with you. Someone may contemplate killing themselves over the thought of not having you.

And this will happen, if not once, many times in your lifetime. At all levels of intensity, you will walk into someone else's life, and when you walk out, you will leave it permanently changed.

Life's questions, in many ways, seem to boil down to these: who has walked across the stage of our life and left it completely different than it was before? And who did you leave in your wake when you made your cameo?

It is very, very difficult to understand. It still haunts me that someone could genuinely love another from the very bottom of their heart...and yet that other person simply not feel the same way.

It is an unanswered question that affects me very deeply. I truly wish I could simply know what people are thinking...because even if I really do know the truth, it scares me, the idea that I could leave so many loose strings from the fringes of my life past.

So I did write something today. But I still haven't found the self-discipline to sit down and start hacking out my story. Damn it.

No comments: