Monday, June 12, 2006

Life in general

Do you realize how difficult it is to parallel park a lawnmower?
That's the kind of town Carlisle is. There are no parallel spaces, so the only thing you'll ever need to parallel park is your riding lawnmower when you return it to the garage.
I was reminded of some things that allowed me to enjoy living in Carlisle today. I went biking today, getting extremely filthy, caked with mud and sweat. You see, due to the rains, there was a foot of water and/or mud on most of the trails. Despite this, I did the first 3-4 miles of the ride in a record 22 minutes, 14 seconds. I looped around, was chased by a few corgies on one point of the trail, then returned home after being unable to find where the trail loop was.
Being on the trail was nice, and being outside reminded me of how nice it is to live in a quiet area. I had the oddest thought about the whole thing, along the lines that though I prefer cities now, I'd like to move back to a place like Carlisle after getting married, when I'm ready to have kids.
WHAT?? HUH? How the hell does this cross my mind? Am I already seriously looking that far ahead? I doubt I'll be in the correct mindset to even consider decisions like that for a few more years, but...I have realized that what I am aiming for, what I intend to do with my life is pretty well-laid out in front of me. Achieving that is no short order, for sure, but having a basic idea helps. It also helps to put this summer, probably some of the greatest difficulties I've had since junior year of high school, in perspective.
Speaking of perspective, I watched the trailer for My Suicide, a movie that, in theory, should come out later this year. I really want to see this movie. The basic conceit is this: the protagonist is a geek loner at an average American high school, isolated and alienated from his peers. This suddenly changes when he announces that for his final project in Video Production, he is going to kill himself on-camera. Suddenly, when the entire student body knows of his intentions, everything gets turned upside down. I want to see this for a few reasons, the first one being that it looks really good. The other ones are more related to the subject matter, and the interesting relationship I have with it. When Hunter passed away, I had no empathy with the why and the what. With why this was the logical course of action, with what drove him to his choice. I think if I had a bit more empathy with him at that point in time, it would help me be in a better place, it would help me forgive him. I doubt a movie is exactly going to open my eyes like that, but it'll help open up some dialogue. No one talked about it. Even Patrick and I can't bring ourselves beyond it happening and how it affected us. Oh well.
This entry was a little more personal than most. It happens, and some things are better to share, in my opinion. On a lighter note, I'm already getting character outlines for the PBP, and am excited for it to start.

No comments: