Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Facebook: I may as well

A comment on the changes to Facebook:
Yeah, I saw the feed thing, and thought, "wow, a bit on the detailed side." But my first reaction to the feed was "oh cool, now I now if people have accepted my friend requests, and no longer have to pore over a profile to figure out what they've updated." If I don't want to look at it, it collapses. That, by the way, was an excellent idea and implementation. Also, in response to the stalker issue, I say this. I went into facebook's privacy settings. You can restrict who sees any of your information...you can have it so you don't even show up on their searches, if you so desire. So if people are really concerned, they can adjust their privacy settings. I adjusted it so that no one can see my cell number unless I have them as a friend. Also, no one outside of my networks can read my profile. Other than that, I don't care, because everything else I post is public domain anyway (within CMU, you can search an index of every student email, and cross-reference it with a name). My most provocative photo is probably a photo of my Celica's shift knob. My wall is filled with inane greetings and birthday spam. My notes are redirected from Blogger, which is, wait, oh yeah...publically listed and indexed on Google. So...yeah. My privacy is not at stake. I don't advertise my illegal behavior (wait, what illegal behavior?), and I frankly am not that interesting. So yeah. For those of you annoyed, I recommend pressing the little drop-down triangle, and collapsing the thing. Not terribly difficult. For the rest of us RSS-heads, you can be thankful that checking facebook no longer has to be an hours-long experience. Or pissed, if you needed a way to kill time. I recommend Freecell, personally.

No comments: